Mad about the Mad Greek

Besides being known for the "World's tallest thermometer", Baker CA is also the home of The Mad Greek. Way back in 2007 in the very first episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Guy visited this crazy, kitschy joint, and I just happened to be in Las Vegas a few months after the show aired and following a trade show was due to drive to LA; right past the Mad Greek! This was my very first time "Following Guy", and was quite memorable. Not only because the Gyro was excellent, but because I was absolutely starving by the time I got there!

It's about 80 miles outside of Vegas, so when I left town at noon I figured lunch as just an hour and a half away. WRONG! Little did I know that there would be a nasty accident on the highway, so it was actually 3:30 before I arrived.

The good news is the restaurant was clean, and the ingredients were fresh; though I should have passed on the French fries and opted for the baklava.

I read somewhere that "there was no atmosphere inside at all". I'm not sure if they were at the actual Mad Greek or if the accidentally wandered into a restroom, because the place is loaded with tacky "Greek-ish" stuff. I doubt the average Greek restaurateur in Greece would recognize the place as even being Greek, but it fits right in with the stereotypes from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I'm not sure why they don't even have an elementary web site, but a quick Google search of the address below will garner you all the info you'll need to get there.

The Mad Greek
72112 Baker Blvd
Baker, CA 92309
(760) 733-4354

No comments:

Post a Comment